Monday, December 26, 2011

I am sorry for slacking off

I've spent the past two years in a nursing home. I have seen more neglect, disregard and apathy in these "nursing homes" and "skilled nursing facilities" than I have seen in any documentary. Mark Twain said, "The truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities and truth isn't."

I am working on a presentation to show the committee members of the Florida Senate committee on health care. This presentation is as they say "straight from the horse's mouth." I'm going to dare each member of this so-called committee to spend 72 hours in the nursing home of my choosing. I am going to pull back the lids of their eyes and keep them open until they see what I've seen.

Please join with me once I finish my presentation and get these people to see what they have done. I don't think any of you realize that a nurses aide one of these facilities has 12-15, sometimes 20 patient's to take care in a 7 1/2 hour shift, that can be as little as 3 min. of care per person, per hour. That is the truth, simple math and the numbers don't lie, they just get worse from there.

I don't know how this system has gotten so bad, but it is, it's much worse than you could ever imagine. If you have someone in one of these places that you care about go there after 11 PM, when they think no one's watching and witness the horror that they live in everyday. There are no vital sign monitors in case they needed immediate assistance, you just push the button and hope that someone can get to you in time. I have a video that shows me pushing the call button and waiting more than a half an hour for someone to come. The American public has to know that we cannot continue giving out foreign economic aid and then say that there's no money to take care of our own. As the title of this post says, I am sorry for slacking off and I hope that I can get my wound taken care of so I can do the work that needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment